Crystalens® - Accommodating Implant Lens
Previous generations of intraocular lenses were not capable of responding to your eyes’ muscles and could only provide you with a single-distance focus (monofocal lens). Consequently, glasses or contact lenses were necessary for near or middle vision. Alternatively, during Cataract surgery, Dr. Harvey previously had to focus one of the patient’s eyes for distance-vision and one for near-vision.
The Crystalens is a silicone implant which has the ability to “accommodate,” or change shape, allowing it to focus on both distant and near objects. Crystalens gives patients a full range of vision by responding to the eyes’ muscles and moving accordingly without glasses or contact lenses. The result is eyes that can focus at near, arm-length, or far distances.
You might be a good candidate for the Crystalens if you:
- are 45 to 50 years of age and older, and
- want to restore your youthful vision.
The two-year FDA clinical study of Crystalens® reported:
- 100% of the patients could read newsletters without glasses or contact lenses,
- 98% passed the driving test without glasses, and
- 92% could see 20/25 or better at distance.